Wednesday, November 19, 2014

7 Seconds

It only takes seven seconds to score a goal. 

I don't know if that's actually true or how accurate it is in the world of ice hockey, but it's a phrase that's been repeated umpteen times since my husband said it on our first date. Hockey is a big part of our life to the extent our living room is Flyers-themed complete with an orange accent wall and we frequently drive across the state from where we now live to attend AHL games.

Seven seconds. It's not really a long time at all. We're kind of experts on short time spans. One month after our first date, my then brand-new boyfriend blurted out the "I love you" (my response? "Take if off the table!" Yeah). Two months later we were talking marriage. Eight months after our first date, he was down on one knee and four short weeks after that, we said "I do" on the same beach. We celebrated the one-year mark as a married couple in our new home together. Yeah, we know about short time spans.

In January 2011, my dad (stepdad if you want to be technical, but the man who raised me) was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Three months - to the day - after that, he passed away at home, next to me.
Seven seconds.

I have enjoyed every second of every day with my husband. He has brought a joy and peace into my life that is indescribable. It's easy to get caught up in the daily routines of life, grocery shopping and paying bills and buying cars and houses and all the stuff adults have to do. I intend to fill the years with love, happiness, family, goodwill, and all the things we're truly here for.

In the next seven seconds, I plan to tell my husband I love and cherish him more than I could express in seven lifetimes. And, that, Hey babe, did ya know it only takes seven seconds to score a goal? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment