Monday, November 24, 2014

Ciao, bella!

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.
If you ask me what I'd do if I won the lottery, you'll hear me rattle off a list of dream vacations. I was lucky enough to go on one of those dream vacations, sans jackpot winnings. I'm a creature of habit and as such, I think I'll reserve Mondays on here for rehashing my trip to Italy this past September.
*I also tend to break my own rules constantly so don't be surprised if on any given Monday, a post is completely unrelated or even missing.
On September 12, we piled into a van headed for the Philadelphia airport, fresh passports in hand. 

Please note, my husband is not a good flyer. He was not exactly looking forward to the 7+ hour flight to London followed by a 2 hour jump to Rome. This was made slightly more bearable by the fact that British Airways offers alcohol at no charge on international flights. The wine binge began! 

After all-night travel to London, we hopped our flight to Rome so excited we barely cared about the lack of sleep. I all but burst into tears when we landed - ITALY! I was here! We toured with Trafalgar tour group (highly recommend) and after dropping off two groups at not-so-nice hotels, we pulled up to Cardinal Hotel St. Peter. Gorgeous! Balcony with a perfect view of the Basilica. Lunch in the hotel's courtyard with a few refreshing glasses of prosecco, followed by - well, we were on vacation, use your imagination ;) Trafalgar had arranged a bus tour of the city followed by a welcome dinner. We met some of the other people in our travel group (half weirdos, half really great people). We were served all the pizza, pasta, antipasta, cheeses, desserts, etc. you can imagine complete with opera singers and, you guessed it, endless wine. 

Oh, the wine! It was everywhere. And CHEAP! Obviously I was in heaven.
After being awake basically over 24 hours, you'd think we crashed after all that...nope. Rooftop drinks until way too late, of course. Still up early the next day to see some major Roman sites - who needs sleep anyway! See ya next week... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment