Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Ciao, bella! (Part 3)

Monday morning we woke up in Rome again. After basically no sleep, we somehow got our wine-soaked butts up and out to Vatican City at 7am.
(We clean up nice!)

And it did not disappoint. It was, in a word, amazing. The sheer size of everything is beyond impressive. We toured and oohed and ahhed over the tapestries, the flooring, the glass windows, everything.
Pope Francis chooses to live in a tiny two bedroom apartment instead of the grand papal residence occupied by popes before him (I love this guy). To see these incredible sights you only read about is such an awesome, humbling experience. There's no photos allowed inside the Sistine Chapel, and I bet no photo could do it justice anyway. (Snapped this photo just before going in the chapel; sharing because I love it!)
It was HUGE! So incredibly impressive. It's impossible not to say some prayers when you're there. 


Rome wasn't built in a day, but we had only had a day to see it! (Ok, two.) It was for to move on - VENICE!
Ok actually, the bus ride was kind of nice. Five hours of cuddling with my hubby, watching the hills of Tuscany roll by? Yes please! 
When we arrived…ahhhh. I've been waiting for Venezia all my life. Ok so the canals kinda smell funny…but whatevs. We took a water taxi into town - not all of Venice is on water, which surprised me.

Once you're in town, there's tons of regular streets in addition to canals of all sizes. We obviously went for a gondola ride…complete with a musician serenading us.
It's completely as romantic as it sounds and <3 <3 <3 Afterwards we went for a Spritz, a classic cocktail of prosecco and a bitter Campari-like liquor garnished with an orange slice & green olive. Weird but refreshing! We had time to visit Piazza San Marco (St. Mark's Square) to see her at night and let me tell you, it was beautiful.
We had dinner at the hotel and despite that crazy day…hours of wine overlooking the hotel's fountain with our new friends. 


NH Laguna Palace Hotel


If I tell you I fell in love with Venice…that doesn't even come close. I adore that city and cannot wait to return. I hear it's sinking so I'm in a bit of a hurry!


Ciao for now…

2 comments: