Thursday, December 4, 2014

Pajama Party

Christmas Day is a huge deal with my family. We nicknamed my mom "Captain Christmas." Every year on Black Friday, we'd decorate my parents HUGE house. Tons of lights and at it's best, 27 - yes, 27! - inflatables decorating the yard. It was one of those houses people brought their kids and lovers to see. My dad LOVED it.

In early December 2011, the house stood stark and un-festive. Without my dad, no one had the heart or strength to get Christmas Wonderland going. Until one weekend. The neighbors showed up with their kids. They knew why the house lay bare. With their help - people we barely knew - we did a pretty good job bringing Christmas back to the 108. Their kindness still brings me to tears.
In the following week, many people contacted me to tell me how happy they were to see The Ponderosa decked out in holiday gear once again. My heart grew three sizes, for sure.
The following year, in the fall of 2012, we said goodbye to my childhood home. 5,000 square feet is too much for one woman drowning in loneliness, and years of happy memories were forever tarnished by my father dying there.
Christmas that year was different. "Crammed" into mom's new "tiny" townhouse (2,000 square feet plus a finished walk-out basement - some downsize! Lol!) and some family fall-outs meant fewer people in this strange new place. Perfect time to introduce my new boyfriend to the family, right? HA!
*oh yeah. So Christmas Day. We have this tradition. Everyone wears pajamas. We're there to eat, relax, play games, laugh. We do it in comfort! Over the years, typically my sister and I have worn matching jammies. We started including my mom with this too. It's just a fun thing we do, yes it's corny but it's us. One year an aunt actually wore a replica of the bunny suit from A Christmas Story. Cute!
So Christmas 2012, mom Jen & I have on our matching jammies. Adam shows up after work and heads upstairs to change. He joins us downstairs for Bingo…


He was a HIT! My family loved this silly man. He fit right in. It was a tough holiday for us all, so much change, and he joined in, lightened the mood, broke the tension, and melted everyone's heart. I was asked to bring him back the next year, no matter what - little did anyone know we'd be back the next year in our own matching clothes as Mr. & Mrs.


That day, December 25, 2012, I knew it was love. I remember the moment it hit me - I love him. I'm keeping him forever.


My hero. 

1 comment: