Monday, December 29, 2014

Love You Long Time

“I only wish that I had met you sooner, so that I could love you longer.” 


Beautiful sentiment. In theory, 100% true. In practice…maybe not so much.

I was 28 when I met my husband, and he was 31. We both had all-too-typical 20s: too much partying, lots of mistakes, and that one long crazy relationship that makes your friends and family want to shake you like a rag doll and scream “WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING” in your face. 

There’s a reason God never had us cross paths sooner. We were meant to meet each other as adults. At 22, I would have had zero interest in him before last call, and at 25, he would’ve probably chased my tail and called it a day when I didn’t return his phone calls. (Ok, I was kind of a bitch.) At 28, I was ready to settle down. At 31, so was he.

I’d never say we don’t fight – of course we do. However, our relationship has basically been smooth sailing from Day 1. No cheating, no break-ups, no constant turmoil and chaos like we experienced in our 20s. We went on dates as opposed to starting out just “hooking up.” We took our time (well, relatively speaking. We did get married after just 9 months but I digress.) There was never any question as to whether we wanted to be together, and we were ready to make that commitment. A relationship that thrives on drama is not a healthy relationship. You want to be with someone who brings out the best in you, not someone who turns you into a crazy, insecure hot mess. I’ve never questioned Adam’s feelings, or wondered if this is where I’m supposed to be. There’s none of that nagging insecurity present in so many relationships. When I see couples drowning in a relationship born out of chaos, or going through the break up-make up cycle, I cringe. Stop! Just walk away. Soulmates don’t lie, steal, cheat, break up multiple times. They don’t fight every time she has too much to drink or he falls asleep without texting. They certainly don’t begin when one is in another relationship. Know your worth, walk away, stop settling for less than amazing.

You may wait longer than you ever expected, but it's so worth it. In the end, we still have forever, from this life to the next.





1 comment:

  1. This is perfect! Absolutely true. "You may wait longer than you ever expected, but it's so worth it. In the end, we still have forever, from this life to the next." Best. Line. Ever.

    ReplyDelete